Sunday, October 13, 2013

Time flies on the wings of lighting

Hey family!

Wow I have so much to tell you. It was another great week and so much has happened.

First, I will be in Valenzuela for another transfer but I will be training. AHHH. I'm super nervous, overwhelmed and excited all wrapped into one. Last week we had trainer's training with President Sperry and it was really special. Sister Loo and Sister Chamberlain (my companions from the MTC) will also be training which is really fun. We've got to go through this whole journey together. This work really is exploding! This new batch of incoming missionaries is the biggest President and Sister Sperry have ever seen... 28 new missionaries! That is so many. All I know so far is that my trainee's name is Sister Sia. I'm not sure where she is from but from her name I'm going to guess Philippines. I go pick her up tomorrow morning. I'm so excited and have been more and more grateful for my trainer, Sister Yagemai, and follow-up trainer, Sister Walker.

Second, this week I saw a lot of heartache in families we are teaching. As missionary constantly talking and to people on a spiritual level it often leads to them telling us about different difficulties they have faced to trials they are now facing. People face so many hardships and everyday I am more grateful for the upbringing I've been given. This week was a testimony to be of what we share everyday-- the gospel of Jesus Christ truly does bless the family. Most of the struggles I've seen with those we teach and serve have come because one person or another chose to stray from the gospel path. It breaks my heart and the heart of their loved ones. I have also been taught over and over how important family home evening is. Its something that I always took for granted, especially as a teenager haha but I've seen what a difference it makes in the family.

Third, I got a letter from some the members in my last area, Deparo, and I bawled my eyes. It was amazing to see the miracles that are still unfolding in their lives and the opportunity the Lord gave me to be a part of it. A letter from Maricel was especially important to me. She really has become new through Christ and turned her life over to Him again. I am so grateful for the time Heavenly Father gave me with her and can't wait to see her again, whether in this life for the next.

Fourth, we had Zone Interviews last week. President and Sister Sperry are so amazing. I'm just so grateful for them.

I know there is/was more I wanted to tell you but I think I'll leave it at that. I'm just so grateful for all that Heavenly Father gives us and that He truly is so intimately involved in our lives. I love you all so much and pray for you every night. 

Love always,
Sister Porter

Filipino Fun Fact: TRAFFIC. This could be like 600 seperate fun facts but I'll keep it at the basics. When I got to the Philippines I was told there were two rules to the traffic here. One, fill in the gaps, meaning if there is a space fill it. Meaning any and every free space on the road and most of the time this is interpreted to mean that the lane lines on the road mean absolutely nothing haha. Second, there are no rules. It is so true. They truly to whatever they want when driving but they are super good at it. I'm surprised I don't see more accidents. I'm just glad I never have to drive here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment