Monday, December 23, 2013

Traffic Palagi


Hey Fam!

First week of a new transfer. I feel like I just said that. Sister Sia and I are loving life just as much as ever including the blazing heat in the middle of November :) Speaking of November...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Let me say that Thanksgiving is actually surprisingly difficult to explain to someone who hasn't ever experienced it and has no idea why we do it, or what pilgrims and Indians are haha. This past week our Bishop fed us turkey in honor of us Americans. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity in the Philippines. That was the first time for Sister Sia and Sister Domagas eating turkey in their whole lives :)

This week our life has been sitting in traffic. Not really but the main road to get to our area is under-construction, like it ALWAYS is (its as bad as Utah County), so we get to spend a lot of time in jeepneys talking to people and being stressed about being late to our appointments ha. Speaking of the traffic...the other day we were walking near a traffic filled intersection, meaning there were a bunch of jeepneys jammed together FULL of people, and I being a tall white person am already constantly stared at but to make matters worse I then proceeded to unintentionally step in a puddle of muddle which I then slipped in and sprayed ALL over myself. I called out to Sister Sia who turned around and looked at me like I was truly insane. I then looked around and could see people inside ALL of the jeepneys laughing and pointing at me...great haha. The worst part was that I had no way to even attempt to get it off so we decided to just get to our next appointment and ask if I could just wash myself off there. Needless to say I got even more weird looks along the way.

Our best news this week is that Brother Ninoy's family is safe! We are so happy for him and know that that was an answer to lots of prayers. We also had a great lesson with him on Sunday and can't wait for his baptism on Dec 14. He is so ready! He will be fasting this Sunday for the first time to get ready for his baptism :)

On Saturday we also had a really neat experience with our ward. We had the chance to coordinate a Mini MTC fireside with our Ward Mission Leader because there are so many prospective elders in our ward. It was a really neat night and we got the elders in our zone involved too. We taught basic teaching skills and had practice teaching with them split up into companionships. They will hopefully now be more prepared for their missions and are going to be helping us reteach the recent converts in our area. 

Bad news was that Brother Pernia and his family didn't come to church, including Shina who was supposed to speak in the Young Women presentation. I love that family so much and just know how much happiness the gospel could bring to the. Free agency is frustrating sometimes.

This week I have learned a lot about "being of good cheer" and taking courage. I love that we know assuredly that we are on the winning team and no matter the obstacles we face all is possible through faith in our Savior Jesus Christ. We have the perspective of eternity and know how the story ends. As members of the church and representives of Jesus Christ we can be filled with the hope that comes through knowledge of the truth. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this work.

I love you all!! Happy Thanksgiving! I am so grateful for you all.

Love always,
Sister Porter

Filipino Fun Fact:
There are roosters EVERYWHERE here. You hear them crowing all the time. You can always see them outside of people's houses tied to a little rope or find men just sitting outside grooming their roosters. They are used for cock fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment