Monday, February 24, 2014

Ang balis ng panahon!

Hey Family!

'Musta na kayo? Namimiz ko kayong lahat kaso sobrang masaya ako dito sa Philipinas. Gusto ko talaga ang buhay ko dito, lalu na bilang isang misyonero ni Jesucristo. Napakaswerte ko na ito ay yung plano ng Diyos para sa akin.

Ok...I today I have been on the mission for 10 months...WHAT? Time is flying and sometimes I get a little panicked that I am starting on the downward slope of my mission. I love being a missionary. I love this country. I love these people. I love the experiences I am having here. I love my Savior and Heavenly Father and the opportunity to respresent them.

Sister Ayub and I have see so many answered prayers this week. I have been amazed by the directness and at times almost instant responses of our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for this transfer. I feel as though my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior are growing in ways I didn't think were possible. At times I feel a little as if I am drowning by the responsibilities and growth I feel like this area is waiting for, but those feelings are always swallowed up by an overwhelming feeling of love and appreciation for the work, area and my companion. 

Sister Ayub is doing so great! I really am so in love with this sister. She constantly keeps me laughing and continually puts my needs before her own. I am learning so much from her example. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming how much she doesn't know or understand, especially considering we are batch and should be at the same point but one thing I have noticed is how much she wants to learn when given the opportunity. I think in the past everything has been done for her in the work so she hasn't taken the time to learn it. Last Friday she lead our weekly planning for the first time in her entire mission. It was EXTREMELY long but she did great and we both learned a lot. She is working so hard on her Tagalog and grown so much. I am so proud of her. Everyday I can't stop smiling as we teach and work because of the progress she has made. 

I am absolutely in love with Malolos 1st Ward. Can I just serve the rest of my mission here? They are so excited about the work and doing everything they can to help it progress. We have members working with us nearly everyday. They have ward mission goals and plans that they are sharing with us. It is so exciting to be a part of the work here!

I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a representative of Jesus Christ and serve Him for 18 months and the rest of my life. This week I learned how even the simplest of actions as a missionary and a member are important. My companions and I have always talked about the importance of representing Christ at all times the moment we walk out the door. This past Sunday I saw a women I didn't recognize at church and began to talk with her. She said that she had seen us walking near her house the day before and as we passed I had smiled and waved at her. I didn't remember her or that moment. As we continued to talk she told me that she was raised a member of the church in Bacolod (different island and part of the Philippines). Six years ago she moved here, married a non-member and has been going to random wards on and off since then. After she saw us she decided to come to church this week and guessed what time we would be meeting and came to church with her 11-year-old non-member daughter. She said we are welcome anytime into her home and will be going back this week to teach her family. I am so grateful to wear this name-tag and do all I can to honor His name and the miracles we see everyday as a part of this work. This last week I read 2 Nephi 25:17 that calls this work a "marvelous work and a wonder". I feel it! I think the whole world feels it! 

I love you all so much. Thank you for your examples, love and encouragement!

Love always,
Sister Porter

Filipino Fun Fact:

The Filipino people are some of the most loving people in the world! I am in love with it. One of my very favorite thing about them is what they use to refer to friends, neighbors, siblings and complete strangers... ate (sister) and kuya (brother). It is my favorite! They really treat each other all as if they are all family and thus the fact that they regularly call each other brother and sister everyday is perfect! 


 Sister Ayub threaded my eyebrows...it was the most intense experience. I felt like I was in surgery haha


Sister Rasmussen got her toenail removed so Sister Ayub and I bought her a cake that said "Goodbye Toe". The lady at the cake shop was super confused haha and asking how to spell the "name" and if we wanted pink or blue frosting and asked if it was a boy or a girl haha you never know it could totally be a name here. They have the craziest names. In my last area for those of you who have read Twilight there was a baby blessed in the ward named Renesme (or however you spell it).


 Our area is beautiful and this is not a good picture of it. I will send better ones.


Birthday Party at a members with the elders in our ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment