Monday, April 14, 2014

Maraming ang mababago sa inyong sarili dahil sa gawain nito

Magandang umaga po sa inyong lahat! (said in a deep Filipino preacher voice)

How are you all? Is it really time for transfers again. That blows my mind. I really have no idea what will happen. I am torn in a lot of ways I feel like Sister Ayub and I have another transfer together but I could also see one of us transferring. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Whatever happens I have complete and total trust in President Sperry. I am so incredibly grateful for the opportunity I have to serve under that man. He truly is called of God. Having said that...

This is a transfer I will never forget (not that I will forget any on my mission) but this is one I will forever be grateful for. Coming into it I really was scared to death. I didn't know what to expect or even where to begin. This transfer has taught me to rely on prayer and the enabling power of the Atonement. I can say now without any shadow of a doubt that our Father in Heaven lives, hears and answers all our prayers in His perfect way and timing. I can also say that I know I have a living Savior and Redeemer who strengthens us constantly giving us capacities far beyond our own. I have seen it so many times in others and experienced it myself.

Now for Sister Ayub... oh my goodness I love that sister SO much! She has taught me so much and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to be a witness to her growth and progression. She has come so far and I am so incredibly proud of her. This Sunday we had a fast together for those we were teaching to have the strength and desire to attend church...and nearly no one came...AGAIN! We have really struggled with progress in our area this transfer no matter how hard we have worked and how much we have given these people. When they didn't attend church AGAIN I was so frustrated and as the sacrament started I was trying to hold back tears. I just began praying for strength and understanding of his plan. As individuals began bearing their testimonies Sister Ayub leaned over to me and asked me how you say, "In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen." in Tagalog. I gave her a quick response because I didn't want her to notice I was struggling. Then a few minutes later she asked if she could get past me to go up to the front. I was shocked. She never wants to speak in front of anyone, especially in a crowd that big because she is still working on Tagalog. I couldn't stop from smiling as I watched her walk up to the front and was filled with complete peace as she bore the very best testimony she could IN TAGALOG for the first time in her whole mission voluntarily. She thanked the ward, bishop, me and the Lord for all they had given her. It was such a sacred experience and one I will never forget. I am so proud of this sister and all the hard work she has put into this transfer. She is an amazing missionary. I have no doubt that our Father in Heaven is perfectly aware of each and everyone of his missionaries and children throughout the world. 

I am so grateful for all that this mission is teaching and the depth and understanding I am beginning to develop. Thank you so much for all your love, encouragement, prayers and advice. I am continually learning more from your examples! Love you all.

Love always,
Sister Porter

Filipino Fun Fact:
Yet another jeepney fun fact...when you pay on the jeepney you just say, "Bayad po." meaning this is my payment and stick your arm out then someone ahead of you in the jeepney will take it and will be passed down until it reaches the driver. He will then ask you how many of you there are and where you are going and then pass you back any change you need the by sticking his hand back and the people will just pass it down again until it reaches you. I was absolutely amazed by this when I first got here. One, because of the honesty that no one is policing any of it. It is just expect that everyone will pay when they get on and that no one will steal the money as it is passed around. And two, because the driver has a whole jeepeny full of people passing money to him at one time while driving and starting and stopping because people are getting on and off but somehow the whole time he keeps track of it all and gets everyone their correct change. 

Boodle Fight with the zone. All food is eaten with your hands and laid out on banana leaves.  Squeezing coconut with Sister Cestona for our chicken curry.

 

I am serving in Paradise :) It is breathtaking here!




No comments:

Post a Comment