Sunday, April 27, 2014

"...my soul filled with joy.."

'Musta na kayo?

Such a good week. Sister Ayub and I learned a lot and again saw so many miracles. This area is finally beginning to progress after hard work and prayers from missionaries and members. Sister Ayub did so good this week and is still working so hard. I am so proud of her and everything she is accomplishing. We continue to push each other and we're excited for what the rest of this transfer will bring.

I am so in awe with this ward. They are all so diligent in their callings and inspire me to do more as a missionary and give me an idea of who I want to be when I return. They know our investigators and less-actives and are intimately involved in their progression. I will forever be grateful for the time I've been given here. This week as we fasted to find those that would receive us we felt prompted to visit the home of some investigators who have gone through so many sets of missionaries without ever going to church or keeping commitments. From the moment we sat down we could tell things were different this time for two of the family's youngest teenage daughters, Marilen and Maribel. After a great discussion and lesson about the Atonement they both committed to attend church...and then they did! The ward was AMAZING at fellowshipping and they are attending the Stake Youth activity with the young women this Saturday. Now if we could just get the rest of the family to sit down, listen and be filled with the same desire... they have 13 brothers and sisters :)

These last few weeks I have just been filled with an absolute thirst for the scriptures that I have never experienced before. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the power that it holds in drawing us unto the Savior and truly changing lives. This week as I read about the sons of Mosiah and Alma I, of course, was so inspired by all they accomplished and their devotion to their calling. I can't say that my mission has gone the way I imagined it leaving my family a year ago but I can say that I share the feeling of Alma when he says, "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me...and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy...When I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer...then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me." [Alma 29:9-10] I know that God's plan is perfect and the experiences here have been better then I could have imaged because He knows each of His children so perfectly. Here I have found my greatest joy, working in His vineyard.


I love you all!!

Love always,
Sister Porter

Filipino Fun Fact:

The people here yell, "Hey Joe!" at all the white people. I don't know where it came from but I'm going to guess World War II when all the American soldiers were here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment